Students preparing for dorm life are ready to take steps toward managing their own health care needs, including avoidance of nickel, if they are allergic.
The Nickel Allergy Experts at Athena Allergy want to remind nickel allergic students who are living away from home that it is important to:
- Advise Student Health professionals of any allergy, including your allergy to nickel, as this information can be helpful when diagnosing and treating several conditions.
- Arm yourself with the building blocks to prevent nickel allergy symptoms from ever appearing –Nickel Alert™ to detect nickel in metal and Nickel Guard™ to provide a barrier between the nickel and skin. If this is the first time you’ve been away from home, you may not be aware of the steps your parents have taken to keep you away from the nickel found in common metallic items. Testing those items with which you frequently come into contact is important. Find out which items contain metal, so you can be proactive in preventing any reaction.
- Once nickel is detected, determine if there are substitute products that can be easily used, or if there is a way to prevent your skin from regularly contacting that metal. Nickel Guard is a way to protect your skin from the nickel in some metallic items. The lacquer forms a micro-bond with metal which effectively shields the skin from any contact. Furthermore, Nickel Guard was carefully formulated without the use of harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde, toluene, or dibutyl phthalate which can create secondary dermatitis problems for those with the sensitive skin associated with nickel allergy.
- Buy only products that are guaranteed to be nickel free, to eliminate any concern about nickel allergy rash interfering with your studies and your exciting new social life! The belts at Athena Allergy have proven popular with college students as many of the nickel free belts are handcrafted in the USA and have unique and trendy styles. New nickel free earring designs are regularly introduced, and the current selection should have colors and styles to fit any occasion.
- Refer to the helpful Nickel Allergy Information Pages at Athena Allergy, Inc., if you have questions about your condition. See the Dropdown Boxes for subjects under Nickel Allergy and Nickel Test on the home page at Athena Allergy, Inc.
- Be proud of yourself for taking these steps toward self-sufficiency! Get involved, study hard, and have fun!