Do you have nickel allergy? Take this short quiz
Experiencing a rash but not sure if it’s a nickel allergy?
If you think you might be allergic to nickel, you’re not alone! Nickel allergy is one of the most common forms of Delayed Allergic Contact Dermatitis (ACD), second only to poison oak and ivy.
Take this short quiz:
- Did the rash appear within 12 to 48 hours after contact with a metallic item?
- Is it manifesting as an itchy red rash?
- Are there raised bumps on the skin?
- Is your skin dry in patches resembling a burn?
- Do you have weeping blisters or fissures in the skin?
If you answered yes to any of the above, a nickel allergy should be investigated.
Nickel allergy is a contact dermatitis, which means that symptoms will appear where the skin comes into contact with nickel. While a rash may spread slightly from the direct source, it will not travel.
Start by testing the metal object most likely to be the culprit using Nickel Alert®. Examples include:
- If the rash is around your neck, check any necklaces you have worn
- If the rash in on your earlobes, check your earrings, including the backs
- If the rash is on your stomach around your navel, check your belts, including any snaps
- If the rash is on your fingers, check any rings and wedding rings you have worn recently
- If the rash is on your wrist, check your watch, smart watch, fitness tracker, or any bracelets
- If the rash is on your face, check any piercings, glasses, makeup applicators, and your cell phone. Other common culprits include musical instruments with metal pieces like chin rests.
- Other common sources
If you detect nickel, protect your skin from the metal object using Nickel Guard®, or switch to hypoallergenic options when available.
Look for the Certified Nickel Free™ seal when you're shopping -- these products have been verified to be nickel free. As with any allergic reaction, the most important step in relieving your symptoms is to consult with an allergist or dermatologist.
Copyright © 2003-2022 Athena Allergy Inc. All rights reserved