The Truth about "Nickel Free" Jewelry
Nickel-free and Hypoallergenic Jewelry - The unfortunate truth is that some "nickel free" and "hypoallergenic" jewelry may still contain nickel!
- In the United States, there are no government standards or regulations for using the terms "nickel free" or "hypoallergenic."
- Some manufacturers define "nickel free" as free of nickel in the plating or overlay but utilize nickel alloys in the base metal to increase durability and reduce the cost of goods. When the plating or overlay wears, even microscopically, an allergic reaction to the nickel in the base metal can occur.
- Nickel is in a majority of metal items we use because it is inexpensive and adds durability as well as luster to other metals. Costume jewelry, for example, often uses a nickel alloy as the base metal, then uses an overlay or plating process to cover the base metal. If that plating is nickel free it may be safe to use until it starts to wear, then those intensely itchy rashes will begin.
Metals that may contain nickel:
- Gold - yellow and white
- Silver, sterling silver*, silver plate
- Chrome (or chromate)
Trust the Certified Nickel Free™ and Certified Nickel Safe™ jewelry offered by Athena Allergy, Inc.
- These items have been batch-tested to assure they are free of nickel or to assure the nickel is so tightly bound in the stainless steel items that it will never contact your skin to cause a nickel allergy rash.
- The Certified Nickel Free and Certified Nickel Safe emblems are your guarantee that those items will never test positive for nickel!
- For your existing jewelry, test it regularly, even the "safe" and "good" jewelry, to ensure no nickel is present. Use Nickel Alert, not your skin, to test all your metal items for nickel content.
*Athena Allergy tests all sterling silver items we sell to guarantee no nickel is used.
~Did You Know?
The European Union limits the amount of nickel which can be released in objects that have prolonged contact with the skin.
Copyright © 2003-2018 Athena Allergy Inc. All rights reserved